New hymn: Psalm 65

Here’s a metrical paraphrase of Psalm 65:5-12, the suggested psalm for January 22, 2012 (the third Sunday after Epiphany).  It was written by David Schutz.

He suggests singing it to the tune EVENTIDE.   If your congregation is unfamiliar with that tune, you might also try one of the following:
ELLERS (Saviour, again to your dear name we raise) 
MORECAMBE (Spirit of God, descend upon my heart) 
TOULON (Lord of all good, our gifts we bring to you) 

For God Alone
(Suggested tune: Eventide)

For God alone my soul in silence waits,
from him alone I know salvation comes.
He is my rock, salvation and defence,
my faith and trust in him shall not be moved.

My glory and salvation rest alone
on God my rock; my refuge is in him.
You people, put your trust in God always.
Pour out your heart to God who keeps us safe.

The poor are but a breath, the rich are false,
weighed in the scales, they’re lighter than the air.
Put not your hope in riches gained by stealth;
don’t set your heart upon increasing wealth.

God said it once, I heard him say it twice:
all strength and might and power belong to him.
Love, steadfast love, belongs to you, O Lord,
for you reward each one for what they’ve done.

— written by David Schutz.  If reproducing this song, please put “Words © David Schutz” at the beginning or end of the psalm.  Posted on the Lutheran Church of Australia’s Worship Planning Page. 

For more worship resources for the third Sunday after Epiphany (January 22, 2012), click on Epiphany 3 B in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.